Courses & Training
Click on a course to find out more Open Course In-House Training
Transgender Awareness (BDB111) Open Course
Course Duration: Half Day
All staff who would like to raise their awareness of transgender issues.
Over the course of just a few decades transgendered people have progressed from being a novelty and the butt of tabloid journalism with little or no legal recognition or rights, to being a sizeable group in society with legal recognition and rights comparable to other minority groups. Despite this, the transgendered condition often remains mired in myths and misunderstandings. This session aims to dispel these issues and put the expectations and needs of transgendered people into context.
By the end of this course delegates will be able to:
- Explore the spectrum of Trans identities and define the ‘Trans Umbrella.’
- Define and use appropriate language in relation to Trans issues.
- Explain what services are available to Trans people.
- Consider their own attitudes to gender identity, gender reassignment and Trans identities.
- Describe the psych-social experience of Trans people.
- Explain the relevance of the law e.g. Equality Act & Gender Recognition Act und understand peoples’ rights under it.
Course fee per delegate:
- £125 Half Day
- Voluntary sector: £95 Half Day